The Proper Care for Knee Pain
As we age, we start experiencing some occasional pain in our body. Could be due to an accident, old injury, or certain joint pains just to name a few. Usually, we often feel pain in our knees, guess it’s one of the stressed parts of the body for everything that it had to endure every single day. That is why there is an orthopedic doctor for knee pain. You wouldn’t imagine how hard it is to not be able to walk well with a knee problem. Because the knees are like the foundation of our body for us to walk, run, jog, dance, and do all the things that we wanted and have to do.
What You Can Do and Not to Do For Your Knees
In the event that you are experiencing knee pains, either from an old or new knee injury, arthritis, or osteoarthritis, which are just some of the common reasons for knee pains, you have to consider the things that you can and cannot do. This is for your knees’ sake.
- Too Much Rest. Do you know that our muscles diminish its natural capacity when we over-rest them? This can worsen or trigger our joint pains. Allow your muscles to move or rather make them move through exercise and make it a habit. But if you are not sure about the exercise routines that are good for you, ask your doctor or therapist about it.
- Stick With An Exercise Program. Cardio routines are the best movements for your muscle’s vitality. As well as weight management training and stretching exercises. You can either do walking, swimming, cycling or even Tai Chi for better balance.
- Avoid Falling. If you have unstable knees do the necessary precautions to not be involved in a bad fall or to avoid falling at all. This may only cause a more serious damage to your already damaged knee. Turn on the lights in your home whenever you’re walking from one room to another. Use the rails of stairs to secure your balance and make use only of a durable ladder if you have to reach or get something.
Hold on There’s More!
- Watch Your Weight. Being overweight will cause stress to your knees. Get rid of those extra calories slowly and you will see the difference.
- Use Supports. If you need to use a cane, a crutch, splints or knee braces use them to ease the stress on your knees.
- Visit an Acupuncturist. This Chinese medical procedure had been loved by many because of the traditional way of healing people. Those tiny needles that they use can relieve different kinds of pains as well as knee pains.
- Use Comfy Shoes. Don’t let your shoes add burden to your stressed knees. Use soft insoles to make your knees more comfortable. If you need more special insoles ask your doctor about it.
Get Your Knees To Exercise
Although you’ve got some knee problems, it shouldn’t stop you from getting the right exercise for it. You can always check with your physical therapist what type and kind of exercise your knees can handle.
If your doctor approves, you can do the following:
- Do a Warm Up – You can start off by doing stationary cycling for at least 5 minutes, do brisk walking for an extra 2 minutes, and then the wall push-ups for at least 15-20 reps. This will prepare your body for a workout and will lessen the chances of joint pains.
- The Leg Raise – If you think that your knees are not that well fit for a regular workout doing leg raises will warm it up. While on your back, bend either your left knee first as you raise your right leg straight up higher than your left knee. Try doing this for three sets, 10-15 times each leg.
- The Wall Squats – If you can already handle a more advanced routine the wall squats will test your balance and the strength of your knees. With your back against the wall and your feet apart, bend your knees really slow. If you have reached the desired position stay with it for at least 5-10 seconds. The moment you feel a little pressure or pain, move to a different position. Then repeat the exercise again.
See, even if your knees are going through some pain, with proper exercise, therapy, and medication, it will soon go back to its sturdy strength and performance. With a regular visit to your knee specialist Woodbridge, your knees will be back in shape in no time.