Do Tinted Windows Keep Your Car Cooler
People across the globe prefer to use their own rides for their daily commute. Unfortunately, the intense hot season is undoubtedly challenging their ride. Now people are carving new and innovative ways of keeping the temperature of their car’s interior down without affecting the fuel economy. One of them is auto glass tinting.
What You Should Know About Window Tinting
Window tinting is the most preferred, affordable, and energy-efficient way of blocking the harmful ultraviolet and infrared rays and lowering the car temperature up to 80%. Tinted glass is also known as heat-absorbing glass or heat-rejecting glass refers to a clean layer of polyester material tinted with different tinting chemicals. In the float process, color dyes are added to the basic material to create tinted glass. Bronze, gray, dark gray, blue, and green are common tints.
The color density is proportional to the thickness of the glass; as the thickness of the glass increases, the color density increases (the darker the film is), and the amount of light transmitted drops. This additional heat absorption leads to thermal stress resulting in glass breakage. It is pertinent to mention that tinted windows do not block all the incoming solar radiations but effectively block all the harmful short-wave UV radiation entering through the car’s window. The traditional metallic tints are now being replaced by ceramic tints which are not only inexpensive but also increase the longevity of the car’s coolness.
Heat Blocked By Tinted Windows
The heat-absorbing capacity of a tinted window depends upon:
- The quality of shade applied
- How efficiently the shade is applied
- The composition of the window
Why Tinted Windows Are Recommended?
High-quality window tints are able to block 80-85% of heat and 99% of UV rays thus providing multiple functions:
- Cooling the vehicle’s interior
- Protecting skin from direct exposure to the sun thereby reducing the chances of skin cancer
- Preserving the interior of the car from fading and cracking
- Beautify the overall look of the car
- Augmenting privacy by not allowing others to look inside
- Increases the longevity of the engine
- Tinted windows provide protection against shattering
How Tinted Windows Keep Your Vehicle Cooler?
Window tint is spectrally selective, which means it lets only particular wavelengths of light pass through. The solar window tint functions as a filter that reduces interior warmth without limiting the illuminating aspects of the sun’s beams by blocking the wavelengths that cause heat and passing those that create natural light. The majority of window films are applied to the interior surface of a glass window in a home, business, or vehicle. In order to protect the film, a scratch-resistant coating is applied on the exterior surface.
Window films come in a variety of styles. Manufacturing window tints is not an easy task, it involves multiple steps, like coating, laminating, metalizing, sputtering, and coloring.
Components Of Window Tints (Window Films)
Window tints consist of the following components and every part plays a key role in keeping the car cooler by cutting UV and infrared rays. This should be kept in mind that tinted windows do not block visible light.
- A polyester film is utilized to convert the basic window glass into a perfect window covering. This is the first layer. It acts as the base layer also.
- The original ultraviolet inhibitor is then added. This adds value to the window tint. Not only does it protect the glass but it also protects the window from ultraviolet rays of the sun and other harmful radiations.
- A polyester film coating is then added to add more protection to the components of the window tint. The polyester film is a magical coating that helps the window against breaking and other external stresses.
- The heat rejection layer helps to keep the heat out. It is the true essence of the window tint.
- The final scratch-resistant layer is added to maximize the efficiency of the window tint.
There is no doubt in saying that tinted windows are a thermal ray blocker and play a significant role in lowering the car’s interior temperature and also reducing fuel consumption. In small cars, if window tints are coupled with air conditioners, it will increase the longevity of the engine and the overall health of your vehicle. Take your vehicle to a car window tinting shop Springfield for installing high-quality tints.